This march and rally is the Bay Area's contribution to a national day of action. The march will be kicked off by well know hip-hop artist for change, Khafre Jay and led by effigies of 5 of the Supreme Court Justices followed by a New Orleans style band.
The rally will include a vast array of speakers and musicians including: Tom Ammiano, popular San Francisco politico; Gayle McLaughlin, former Richmond Mayor who won against Chevron; Bill McKibbin, 350.org national leader on audio, Andres Soto, KPFA talk show host; David Braun, Californians Against Fracking and more to be confirmed. The rally will also include the Occupella singers, Michael Sullivan and the Dots and a Koch funeral for democracy.
3:30 pm - March (1.3 miles) starts at Market St. & Montgomery St. near Montgomery St. BART
4:30 - 5:30 pm - Rally at Federal Building 450 Golden Gate Ave. near Civic Center BART
Statement of the event organizers, Money Out! People In!:
On this the anniversary of the Citizen United we:
• Mourn the Supreme Court decisions granting corporations unlimited campaign spending rights.
• Mourn our lost American democracy,
• Mourn the loss of government that no longer works for us.
• Vow to recreate a government by the people.
• And find hope that democracy will be resurrected in America
Our call to action:
1. Demand an amendment to the US Constitution — We the People must clearly affirm that corporations do NOT have the same rights as people and money is NOT protected as free speech (www.movetoamend.org / www.freespeechforpeople.org).
2. Pass anti-corruption legislation in your city. Corruption has been legalized. (represent.us/local-anti-corruption-act). End the revolving door between lobbying and any government work, including political office. Hold politicians accountable.
3. Volunteer with a local group working to get big money out of politics (www.moneyoutpeoplein.com).
4. Broaden the movement. Have your union, congregation, non-profit, or other organization endorse Move to Amend and/or Free Speech for People.
5. Learn about and advocate for the California DISCLOSE Act and the Federal DISCLOSE Act to require transparency in political ads and neutralize super PACs and billionaires.
This event is organized by Money Out! People In! - a Northern California coalition dedicated to getting big money out of politics. Visit their website at www.moneyoutpeoplein.com
Participating in the rally will be members and supporters of the Money Out! People In! coalition, 99 Rise!, Common Cause, Courage Campaign, California Clean Money Campaign, Free Speech for People, Money Out Voters In (MOVI), MoveOn councils, Move to Amend, Mount Diablo Peace and Justice Center, Public Citizen, Represent.us, Solar Justice, Sunflower Alliance, and more.
Download Statement of Principles for a 21st Century Democracy (PDF), from Money Out! People In!
Market & Montgomery Sts near Montgomery BART
San Francisco, CA 94133
Google map and directions